Founder and Managing Attorney
Donovan Rodriques concentrates his business and entertainment law practice in the area of film and television development, financing, production and distribution. He represents producers, talent, entertainment companies and entrepreneurs, including a number of start-ups and emerging companies in media, sports and entertainment technologies.
- New York State Bar (2012)
- The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- The United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Law School and University
- Norman Manley Law School, C.L.E. (2002)
- University of Edinburgh School of Law, LL.M. (International Trade Law, 2000)
- University of the West Indies, LL.B. (1999)
- University of the West Indies, B.Sc. (Biochemistry, 1995)
Overview And Experience
Donovan Rodriques serves as production counsel to film, TV and media producers and production companies, and helps them raise capital for every stage of development, production and distribution. He counsels clients on finance and distribution transactions, rights acquisitions, private equity, development agreements, talent agreements, production agreements, insurance, guild and union matters, copyright and trademark protection, as well as business formation, business development and corporate compliance. He helps clients with negotiating service deals and traditional acquisition deals, including traditional theatrical release. Donovan Rodriques also counsels clients in developing new ways to capture, synthesize and act on big data in ways that move the sales needle.
Being an entrepreneur and filmmaker, he has a keen interest in seeking independent film and television development and financing for features, scripted series and mini-series and creative distribution channels for up and coming artists, filmmakers or producers. He helps clients package talent and simultaneously, he’s talking to financiers, funding bodies, distributors and sales agents, strategizing and course-correcting along the way. He has a keen understanding of the physical, technical, creative and fiscal processes that go into a production and possesses the industry and investment contacts that ensure a production gets finished on time. It is in this area, that his expertise with law and business merge, which makes him most effective to his clients.
He counsels clients in adapting existing intellectual property like books, films, documentaries and video games into feature film and series ideas, including television and web series. He represents clients in the protection, negotiation, acquisition, and licensing of trademarks, copyrights and publicity rights. Donovan Rodriques is a member of the Business Law and the Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Sections of the New York State Bar Association.
- Panelist: “Licensing Underlying Rights – Option and Adaptation Deal-Making in Different Media”, New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting (New York, NY 2019)
- “How to Obtain Indie Film Financing”, NYSBA Fall/Winter 2013 Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Journal
- New York State Bar Association, Entertainment Arts and Sports Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Lawyer Referral Services Committee